Monday, February 22, 2016

I can't remember!


What a relief!

I can’t remember the last time
I had to get up in the morning,
shower, get dressed, put make up on and have breakfast
in less than 20 minutes.

I can’t remember the last time
I left the house the dark,
spent 10 hours in the office,
sitting, typing, immobile,
just to leave 10 hours later,
again in the dark.

I can’t remember the last time
I was so stressed and under pressure
that I could not sleep
that I tossed and turned and made myself
sick with worry about a presentation? A report? A deadline?
 
I still cannot make sense
of flying for 12 hours
to amazingly exotic faraway destinations
to deliver a training session of 5 hours
and then turn around and start the long journey back home.

Why? What for?
I can’t remember doing it for the money
or even the career,
Although I loved the praise and the recognition,
I don’t believe I had to do it so busily, so intensively and so robotically.

I can’t remember having pajama Sundays
or lazy days when the snow was tick on the ground
and the children would have loved the break.
I can’t remember reading their school report
 and saying words of encouragement or praising their effort.
I was tough and led by example. 

I can’t change the past
but if I had to do it all again I would like to try and have more fun.

Even in the busiest times
I would do more of the simple things
The walks, the reading, the baking and the laughing.

I would have liked to spend more time just being,
doing more listening an less talking,
more feeling and less fixing,
more present and less future.


I must remember to tell my family
about the new me.
No, not the new me – for I am older not newer!
But I am certainly wiser.
At least all these years are worth something,
What a relief!

No comments:

Post a Comment